Samsung’s new ‘flip phone’ STARTS at £1,800 – double the price of a regular iPhone
SAMSUNG has revealed the price of its new Galaxy Z Fold 2 smartphone and it might be more expensive than you were expecting.
The UK pre-order page listed the phone as costing £1,799 ($2390) for 256GB of storage.
The page no longer says the price[/caption]
The website has now changed back so no price is shown.
The price was spotted by a Reddit user before being removed.
They speculated that the phone would be priced at around $1850 in the US but this has not been officially confirmed.
Mystic Black or Mystic Bronze are the current colour options avaliable.
The phone is infamous for its bendable folding screen that can open out like a tablet[/caption]
Those that have pre-ordered should get their phone on September 17.
The original Galaxy Fold, the one with all those screen issues, was priced at £1,900 ($1,980).
A lower price for the new version may be due to the lower storage value.
The original came with 512GB.
Other specifications are yet to be officially confirmed by Samsung but the company is expected to reveal them very soon.
The tech giant’s website states: “Meet the device that’s changing the shape of the future.
“Discover the cutting-edge hinge technology that allows it to fold like a book, stand on its own and break the rules of what you thought a smartphone should do.
“The next chapter of mobile is coming soon.”
A brief timeline of the Samsung Galaxy Fold
Here’s all the major things to happen in the controversial phone’s history so far…
- May 2011: South Korea’s Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology announces its researchers have made a folding smartphone prototype
- November 2013: Samsung promises to bring folding display devices to the market
- Spring 2016: Engineers start working on what we now refer to as the Galaxy Fold
- Otober 2018: Samsung officially confirms its foldable phone is on the way
- February 20, 2019: The Samsung Galaxy Fold is unveiled with May 3 release date and a staggering £1,800 price tag
- April 15, 2019: Journalists with early access to the phone complain its screen breaks after a couple days of use
- April 22, 2019: Samsung announces it’s postponing the Fold days before release to address and fix durability issues
- May 31, 2019: All pre-orders of the Fold are cancelled by Samsung, with no new release date in sight
- June 18, 2019: Samsung Display Vice President Kim Seong-cheol claims “most of the display problems have been ironed out”
- September 18, 2019: Samsung relaunches the Fold in the UK following a hasty redesign
Most read in Phones & Gadgets
In other news, Amazon is taking on Apple Watch with its Halo fitness band.
Motorola is planning to release a 5G-version of its Razr foldable phone next month, according to reports.
And, Samsung recently unveiled the Galaxy Z Flip 2.
Do you prefer Samsung or iPhone? Let us know in the comments…
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at email@example.com