How to delete an Instagram account
INSTAGRAM is one of the world’s biggest social media websites, having gained more than one billion users globally since its launch in 2010.
But if you’re fed-up with being bombarded with a constant stream of “picture-perfect” moments from influencers, here’s how you can take a step back.
Users cannot delete or temporarily deactivate Instagram through the app[/caption]
How do I delete my Instagram account permanently?
You can only get rid of your account for good by accessing Instagram through a web browser.
You cannot delete your account through the Instagram app.
Here’s a simple step-by-step guide on how to do it…
- Sign in to Instagram.com.
- Click ‘Help’ on the right-hand side of the page, underneath the ‘Suggestions For You’ list.
- Click ‘Managing Your Account’.
- Click ‘Delete Your Account’.
- Click ‘How do I delete my Instagram account’, followed by the ‘Delete Your Account’ hyperlink that appears under that.
- A drop-down menu will appear asking you to select your reason for deleting your account.
- To continue, re-enter your password.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click ‘permanently delete my account’.
Your Instagram account is now deleted and you are permanently off the network.
How do I deactivate my Instagram account?
Deactivating your account will freeze it or temporarily remove it from the platform for as long a period as you would like.
You can’t temporarily deactivate your account on the app – you have to log in on a browser, as with deleting your account.
- Sign in to Instagram.com.
- Head to your profile page, and select ‘Edit Profile’ at the top, next to your username.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, and select the option to “Temporarily disable my account.
- You will be asked to choose a reason from a drop-down list as to why you are disabling your account, and then asked to enter your password.
- Select “Temporarily Disable Account”.
Your account is now inactive and hidden from other users.
Instagram’s policy states that you can only deactivate your account once a week.
Can I reactivate my account if I change my mind?
You can reactivate your account at any time simply by logging back in with your account details.
Your account may not reactivate straight away if you try to log in too soon after temporarily deactivating it.
This is because Instagram usually needs a few hours in order to complete the deactivating process.
You should be able to log back in after a few hours have passed.
You can use the app when you log back in – it does not have to be on a browser.
Most read in Tech
Can I use Instagram without an account?
No – due to an Instagram update in 2020, you can no longer browse Instagram without having signed up to the platform.
If you try to view profiles, posts, or Stories, you will be automatically sent to a log-in page when you try to view Instagram profiles, posts and stories.
You have to create a profile or log in to browse the platform or upload content.
Instagram has gained over one billion users since it was launched in 2010[/caption],