Eagle-eyed Apple fans spot blurry glimpse of new iPhone 12 on official website hours before launch
APPLE fans have unearthed a new clue about the latest iPhone just hours ahead of the mobile’s expected launch.
Four icons have been added to the iCloud website, hinting that four Apple handsets will be revealed today at Apple’s “Hi, Speed” event.
A blurry icon showing what could be the upcoming iPhone 12 has appeared hidden within the code of Apple’s website[/caption]
Icons are images that appear in iCloud – Apple’s cloud storage service – to help users pick out whether a device is a phone, tablet or other gadget.
Dug up by Apple-watchers @AppleSWUpdates, the newly added icons look a lot like iPhones, and are labelled “iPhone13,1” through “13,4”.
This is the typical style Apple uses to denote iPhones in iCloud. Last year’s iPhone 11, for instance, uses “iPhone 12,1”.
“Have you ever noticed those images in the iCloud or the Apple ID website?” @AppleSWUpdates wrote on Twitter.
Have you ever noticed those images in the iCloud or the Apple ID website? Apple has uploaded 4 images for the iPhone13,1 13,2 13,3 and 13,4. No released iPhone uses those identifiers (the SE 2 is 12,8) Just saying that those images are identical to the one used for the 11 Pro pic.twitter.com/7uRuuKu8aN
— Apple Software Updates (@AppleSWUpdates) October 11, 2020
Apple has dropped a huge hint that it will be unveiling FOUR new iPhones today[/caption]
“Apple has uploaded 4 images for the iPhone13,1 13,2 13,3 and 13,4. No … iPhone uses those identifiers.”
The icons aren’t on iCloud, but are hidden in the code of Apple’s website, presumably with the intention of releasing them later.
Apple is reportedly working on four new iPhones for launch on October 13, so the icons line up with the rumours.
Of course, it’s impossible to say whether the icons mean anything for the future of the iPhone – so don’t put any money on it just yet.
Apple is expected to unveil the latest iPhone today during its virtual ‘Hi, Speed’ event[/caption]
It’s not entirely clear how @AppleSWUpdates found the icons, so take their report with a pinch of salt for now.
We’ll likely know much more about the next iPhones following today’s hotly anticipated Apple event.
The company only announced the event last week, and has given no hints as to what will feature.
However, multiple reports and leaks suggest we’ll almost certainly get our first look at the new iPhone.
iPhone tricks to try today
Here are some of the best…
- Typing cursor – When typing, hold down the space bar to turn your keyboard into a trackpad, letting you move around words and sentences more easily
- Close all Safari tabs – To do this in one go, simply hold the overlapped squares in the bottom right-hand corner, and press close all tabs
- Delete lots of photos quickly – Hold down on a photo and then drag your finger diagonally in Photos to select lots of images at once, then hit delete
- Convert currency quickly – Swipe down from the top of your Home screen (or swipe left to right on an iPhone X or later model), then tap in the bar and type a currency (like $200) and it will automatically covert to your local currency
- Check if you’re due a battery upgrade – Batteries inside smartphones degrade over time. Just go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health, and check out the Maximum Capacity reading. Generally a battery is considered worn when you’re down to 80% capacity. If you’re below, you can buy a battery swap from Apple
- Move apps around faster – Hold an app until it starts wiggling, then (while still holding) tap other apps, causing them to stack so you can move them around easier
Given that last year’s trio was named “iPhone 11”, it seems safe to assume we’ll get the iPhone 12 this year.
It’s likely we’ll see something along the lines of an iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
An iPhone “Mini” with a palm-sized 5.4″ screen is also heavily rumoured to be on the cards.
The new phones will reportedly range in price from $649 / £649 to $1,099 / £1,099.
Most read in Phones & Gadgets
In other news, this impressive iPhone 12 concept video could show off Apple’s secret design ahead of time.
Apple recently released a new “cheap” version of its iPhone SE.
The iPhone 12 could be the thinnest ever thanks to new screen technology.
And the new phone could also see through mist and fog thanks to rumoured ‘Spectral Edge’ camera integration.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at email@example.com