Black Friday Phone Deals 2020: The best live deals
IN PREVIOUS years shoppers have managed to bag some amazing mobile phone deals during Black Friday.
And we’re highlighting the biggest and best Black Friday phone deals as offers arrive this November.
*Just because an item is in the sale, it doesn’t mean you can’t find the same product, or similar, elsewhere. Always shop around to make sure you’re getting the best price.
Best Black Friday Phone deals – Live Offers
- All deals have unlimited texts and calls unless specified otherwise.
Top iPhone 12 deals
Devices in the iPhone 12 family are Apple’s latest flagship models. These are respectively the iPhone 12, the iPhone 12 mini, the iPhone 12 Pro, and the iPhone 12 Pro Max.
The various iPhone 12 models present a series of different specs, but all of them come with 5G capabilities, Super Retina XDR OLED displays and a new A14 chip.
- iPhone 12 Mini 64GB, 100GB data (Three) £43pm, £0 upfront – buy here
- iPhone 12 64GB, 20GB data (iD Mobile) £39.99pm, £99.99 upfront – buy here
- iPhone 12 64GB, 100GB data (Three) £48.00pm, £0 upfront – buy here
- iPhone 12 Pro 128GB, 100GB data (Three) £59.00pm, £0 upfront – buy here
- iPhone 12 Pro Max 128GB, 100GB data (Three) £64pm, £0 upfront – buy here
Top iPhone 11 deals
Now that the iPhone 12 is out, its previous iteration is substantially cheaper. With a great camera, a beautiful display and the best battery life on any iPhone (11 Pro Max), the iPhone 11 is well worth its price.
- 64GB, 20GB data (ID Mobile), £29.99pm, £49.99 upfront – buy here
- 64GB 100GB data, (Three), £35.00pm, £0 upfront – buy here
- 128GB, 20GB data (ID Mobile), £29.99pm, £49.99 upfront – buy here
- 128GB, Unlimited data (ID Mobile), £30.99pm, £87.99 upfront – buy here
- iPhone 11 Pro, 100GB data (Vodafone), £55 a month (£29 upfront) – buy here
Top iPhone SE deals
The cheapest iPhone ever is even cheaper for Black Friday. Featuring a lightweight frame, a decent camera and waterproof capabilities, this is the perfect iPhone for anyone looking for a mid-range device without breaking the bank.
- 64GB, 100GB data (Three) £26.00 a month, £0 upfront – buy here
- 64GB, 20GB data (ID Mobile) £23.99 a month, £9.99 upfront – buy here
Top iPhone XR deals
A direct competitor of the iPhone SE, the XR is an older model with better specs in some areas, but not others.
The XR has a bigger screen and better battery life, for example, but is powered by an older A12 Bionic chip, as opposed to an A13 chip in the SE.
It’s also lacking Touch ID but does offer Face ID capabilities.
- 64GB, 100gB data (Three), £32 a month, £0 upfront – buy here
Top Android Black Friday deals
- All deals have unlimited texts and calls unless specified otherwise.
Samsung released the Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20+, and the Galaxy S20 Ultra in February, while the FE was released in October.
All the smartphones in the S20 family share an Exynos 990/Snapdragon 865 chip but feature different RAM and storage options.
They also have an amazingly beautiful display with a 120 Hz refresh rate and they all feature 5G capabilities.
The Samsung FE presents a small downgrade on display resolution and RAM but improves in some areas like the front camera and the battery.
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, 100GB data, (Vodafone) £55 a month (£19 upfront) – buy here
- Samsung Galaxy S20 4G 128GB, 30GB data (Three) £37pm, £0 upfront – buy here
- Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 128GB, 30GB data (Three) £35pm, £0 upfront – buy here
- Samsung Galaxy A71, 54GB data (Vodafone) £30pm, £0 upfront – buy here
Google has always worked hard on the artificial intelligence capabilities of its Pixel’s cameras, and the 4a is the culmination of these efforts.
Add in a wonderful OLED screen, rear fingerprint sensor and a headphone jack, and you have a pretty great phone for the price.
And you need a new TV, this offer is the perfect one for you, as it includes an LG Ultra 4K 43-inch TV.
- Pixel 4a, 10GB data (EE) £39pm (£30 upfront) + Free LG Ultra 4K 43-inch TV – buy here
- Pixel 4a, 100GB data (Vodafone), £23 a month, (£9 upfront) – buy here
One of the few smartphones with a pop-up camera, the Honor 9X offers a long battery life, a headphone jack and pretty decent cameras.
The Honor 9X is not a flagship device, but it’s on the higher end of mid-range smartphones, at a fraction of the price.
- Honor 9X SIM-free, £169.95, Argos – buy here
- Honor 9X Lite SIM-free, £159.95, Argos – buy here
- Honor 20e SIM-free, £139.95, Argos – buy here
A solid phone with some impressive specs, the Moto G 5G Plus offers 5G capabilities at a very good price.
With a fast Snapdragon 765G chipset and a 90Hz screen refresh ratio, this is a snappy device with a pretty gorgeous display.
It also has a pretty long-lasting battery.
- Moto G 5G Plus, 54GB data (Vodafone), £21pm, £0 upfront – buy here
- Moto G 5G Plus, £100 data (Vodafone), £35 a month, (£9 upfront) – buy here
Sony’s latest flagship device, the Xperia 5 II 5G has been designed for photographers and video-makers.
The device comes with a huge number of manual camera options, together with a dedicate button for shutter control.
Its 120Hz display is fit for a flagship device in 2020, but the Xperia 5 II 5G does not sacrifice old but gold tech, featuring a headphone jack at the top.
- Sony Xperia 5 II 5G, 54GB 5G data (Vodafone), £30 pm, £135 upfront – buy here
SIM-only Black Friday deals
- Unlimited data SIM, 12-month contract, £16 a month, ID Mobile – buy here
- 100GB data SIM, 12-month contract, £11.50 a month, Vodafone – buy here
- 50GB data SIM, 30 day rolling, with data-rollover, £13 a month, ID Mobile – buy here
- 50GB data SIM, 12-month contract, £12 a month, ID Mobile – buy here
When is Black Friday 2020?
The day of Black Friday is November 27 this year, the fourth Friday of the month and the day after Thanksgiving.
The US holiday always changes date each year and so Black Friday, and Cyber Monday, do too.
Generally though Black Friday phone deals arrive up to a week ahead of the big day itself from phone retailers.
Meanwhile, mobile networks and plan providers tend to wait for a big reveal either the day before or on Black Friday.
When is Cyber Monday 2020?
Cyber Monday falls three days after Black Friday, on Monday, November 30.
Typically, phone deals extend through the weekend to Cyber Monday – and you may even find there are new deals and discounts announced on the tech-themed shopping day.
More Great Black Friday Deals
What Black Friday phone deals can we expect?
There are always some surprises and companies looks to undercut each other and provide the best possible offers.
This year it’s highly likely the most popular deals will be on the iPhone 11 and Samsung’s Galaxy S20 series.
With the much-anticipated release of the iPhone 12 around September, the iPhone 11 range – still offering incredible power and features – is likely to be key to offers.
Likewise, as a supposed ‘Galaxy S30’ range is predicted to launch early in 2021, Samsung’s flagship S20 models could be the focus of big discounts.
We’d expect a fair amount of premium deals on the likes of Google Pixel and Sony Xperia devices.
Not forgetting more affordable Black Friday phone deals too, with the iPhone SE, and Android devices by Xiaomi and Oppo.
Finally, as SIM-only deals have increased in value in 2020, expect some huge 4G data offers, and possibly 5G SIM deals too.
Which retailer will have the best Black Friday phone deals?
There is a huge amount of competition between phone companies around Black Friday, so it’s unlikely that one specific retailer will have the best deals.
Additionally, it will depend on budget and your own requirements, and phone deals are always worth comparing before committing to a purchase.
We recommend checking out the following retailers for phone deals, and suggest checking with networks and plan providers directly too.
- Affordable Mobilese2save
- Carphone Warehouse
- Currys PC World
- ID Mobiles
- Buy Mobiles
- John Lewis
Should I wait for Black Friday to buy a new phone?
If you’re looking to buy the latest, snazziest phone release – iPhone 12, anyone? – Black Friday weekend is likely to have deals and discounts that might tempt you.
Better yet? Black Friday tends to be a time of year when older phone models go on sale.
These tend to be discounted more than their brand-new counterparts, so Black Friday could be a good time to buy yourself a phone, just one that isn’t the latest model.
Is Black Friday a good time to buy a phone?
Yes, if you are looking to switch and see a phone deal which you consider good value.
But prices do change quickly during the event, so it is best to do research ahead of time so you know when you are getting a truly good deal.
The best Black Friday phone deals don’t hang around for too long, and it isn’t unusual to see the year’s lowest prices on a range of brands, SIMs and contracts during the discount event.
Will phones be cheaper on Black Friday?
Smartphones are among the items that are regularly reduced in the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.
If you’re happier to purchase an older model Samsung or iPhone, you might be able to bag a bargain on a great phone this Black Friday.
Are Black Friday phone deals worth it?
Yes, we’d say so.
However, it’s worth doing your research on the phone you want to buy ahead of time so you know what a good deal is when you see one.
Think about how much money you’re willing to spend and try to stick to it – there are so many deals flying around during Black Friday that it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement.
The best Black Friday phone deals are likely to be on older models, so to save even more cash, opt for an iPhone 11 or X instead of a 12, for example.
MORE BLACK FRIDAY
Should you want to follow all things sale-related, have a look at our main Black Friday page.
If you’re looking for more than just the best Black Friday phone deals, head over to our Black Friday tech deals page.
For product roundups and recommendations head over to Sun Selects Tech.
This article and any featured products have been independently chosen by The Sun journalists. All recommendations within the article are informed by expert editorial opinion.
If you click on a link in this story we will earn affiliate revenue.